Sunday, May 03, 2015

Thy Mercy, My God

THY MERCY, MY GOD, IS THE THEME OF MY SONG
by John Stocker, 1776

Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song,
The joy of my heart. and the boast of my tongue;
Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last,
Hath won my affections, and bound my soul fast.

Without Thy sweet mercy I could not live here;
Sin would reduce me to utter despair;
But, through Thy free goodness, my spirits revive,
And He that first made me still keeps me alive.

Thy mercy is more than a match for my heart,
Which wonders to feel its own hardness depart;
Dissolved by Thy goodness, I fall to the ground,
And weep to the praise of the mercy I've found.

Great Father of mercies, Thy goodness I own,
And the covenant love of Thy crucified Son;
All praise to the Spirit, Whose whisper divine
Seals mercy, and pardon, and righteousness mine.

I first heard this hymn, in college, at RUF, while singing it to the igrace tune. I have loved it ever since. Read over these words. Ponder them. They are so rich. 

Three related things
1. An interview about this song with Sandra McCracken, who wrote the new tune. 
http://shereadstruth.com/2015/01/28/hymns-ii-day-3/
2. A new hymn book/devotional for children. 
http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/learn-truth-and-worship-god-with-new-student-hymnal
3. Please, go support the new igrace album on kickstarter. If they receive extra money, they can add more songs to the cd!! I am so excited to be a part of their next cd. 
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1490944076/help-us-make-indelible-grace-7/rewards

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?