Friday, February 27, 2015

I Wanted A Burger (chipotle, roasted garlic burgers)

I thought, around 2:00, I really would like a burger and fries for dinner. Maybe I should splurge and buy one. 

Note: I recently discovered how good Five Guys is while in the hospital after having Warren. My lunch was really late (after 1pm). I was craving protein and getting grumpy. Then they brought me tomato soup and a grilled cheese. What a disappointment to a woman who just had a baby!! I wanted to cry. So, my brother-in-law, wonderfully, ran out and bought me Five Guys. It was incredible. It was probably the best burger I have ever had. Part of that could be because I was in the hospital. :) I was incredibly grateful for that burger. 

Anyhow, I seriously considered buying Five Guys for dinner, but decided to take a look through my ATK cookbooks first. I discovered a burger recipe that I thought looked amazing (green onion, chipotle peppers, and roasted garlic). Then I thought, I don't have rolls and have no time to make yeast rolls.  So Martin and I threw together pretzel rolls. I finished it off with some oven-roasted sweet potato fries, that I tossed with a bit of olive oil, cinnamon, and sugar, and a salad leftover from last night. 

 I just wanted to mention two things they learned from cooking burgers that I found fascinating. 
1. If you like your burgers medium-done, poke a hole in the middle to help the burger cook evenly. That way the edges won't get super done before the middle is finished cooking. 
2. Grate your cheese into the burgers, if you want a cheese burger. If you melt the cheese on top, you end up over cooking the burger while trying to get the cheese to melt. 

Burger (Plain or Chipotle, Onion, Roasted Garlic)
*these can be grilled or pan cooked - I cooked them in a cast iron skillet over medium heat

Plain
1-1/2lb burger
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Add in for extra flavor:
1 T chipotles in Adobe sauce chopped
2 T chopped green onions
3 garlic cloves, dry roasted in a pan for about 8 minutes and then minced

I also added in 1/2 c. quick oatmeal because I was using frozen turkey burger that didn't have much form. 

Mix together. Make into four burgers (4-1/2" in diameter, 3/4" in height). Cook 3-1/2 minutes per side for rare. Cook 5 minutes per side for well-done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
What do you think?